How much can you save?
Frugal Propulsion delivers significantly lower fuel consumption and significantly lower emissions.
Exactly how much smaller is your fuel bill going to be? That is a good question and usually where we start when we try to figure out if Frugal Propulsion is right for a particular vessel. The approximate answer comes from doing a sea-trial. From doing experiments during a sea-trial, we are able to come close to the optimal settings for the specific condition the vessel is at during the sea-trial. By comparing trial values with values obtained without optimization, we can calculate how much fuel you can expect to save using our product.
- In some cases, we are not able to make a big difference. We have tried our method on a fairly large ferry with a very large and complicated powerplant without much luck. It turned out the engines were limited to a very narrow operating range which put too many constraints on our algorithm. Even so, we were still able to show it was possible to save around 3% fuel.
- In other cases, the results are dramatic. On a mid-size tanker, we have shown savings ranging from around 11% at higher speeds to about 20% at lower speeds – both within the normal speed range for the vessel.
- Similarly, Royal Arctic Line operates Malik and Mary Arctica – some of our very first test vessels. Here we have found savings at about 15% across the range of speeds commonly in use.
- Smyril Line operates the Mykines RoRo vessel in the North Sea. Our results on that vessel are also surprising, ranging from 10-25% savings. Frugal Propulsion will be operational on that vessel January 2020.
- The Faroese shipowner Frakt & Sand operates the vessel Hav Atlantic which is already running Frugal Propulsion. We are very proud to say that our product saves Frakt & Sand $140,000 a year!
In all cases, our comparison is between what we can do using the Frugal Propulsion algorithm and what is possible using the best propulsion method available on the ship before we came along.
The return on investment is typically very low – about one year – depending on whether you need other components, such as a frequenzy converters, to make Frugal Propulsion work. When we do a survey, we deliver a report that takes all this into consideration, including applicable financing options, if any are available.